Question

How do I disable editing responses?

• 6 April 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi, I can’t seem to find out how to disable the “edit repsponse” option on the polls.  I want them to only be able to submit one answer and not be affected by other voters. 

BUT I also want to still show results. 

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @VincentVanCooten,

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to disable “edit response” in a poll. 

There is a workaround though! You can keep the results hidden when you activate your poll, allow your participants a little time to submit their answers, then lock the voting so that they can’t change their vote and just show the results while the voting is locked.

Let me know if this workaround works for you or if you need any more help! 

This is a dealbreaker for me . . . it’s important to (1) get authentic responses from participants who haven’t seen others’ responses, and (2) display the results immediately to them.  If that’s not possible, a paid subscription to Slido is not useful to me.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Chad ,

Thanks for your honest feedback - it’s much appreciated! :) 

I’m super interested to find out more about your specific use case.

Although, I’m not sure I understand - you’re looking to get authentic responses from your audience without them being affected by others’ responses BUT then also show them the results? 

I think my earlier suggestion could work there - you can hide the participants’ responses first while your audience votes in a poll and then after maybe a minute start showing the results - this would allow your audience to submit their thoughts without seeing others’ responses but then also see the results at the end.

If you’re worried that your participants will change their responses with “edit poll” function after they see the results, you can also close the voting before showing the results. 

So it would go like this: 

1. Activate a poll with the results hidden.
  2. Let your audience vote - keeping an eye on the vote count is a good idea to see if everyone has voted.
  3. Close the voting - so that no one can change their votes.
  4. Show results. 

Let me knot if this could work for you! :)

Hi @Chad ,

Thanks for your honest feedback - it’s much appreciated! :) 

I’m super interested to find out more about your specific use case.

Although, I’m not sure I understand - you’re looking to get authentic responses from your audience without them being affected by others’ responses BUT then also show them the results? 

I think my earlier suggestion could work there - you can hide the participants’ responses first while your audience votes in a poll and then after maybe a minute start showing the results - this would allow your audience to submit their thoughts without seeing others’ responses but then also see the results at the end.

If you’re worried that your participants will change their responses with “edit poll” function after they see the results, you can also close the voting before showing the results. 

So it would go like this: 

1. Activate a poll with the results hidden.
  2. Let your audience vote - keeping an eye on the vote count is a good idea to see if everyone has voted.
  3. Close the voting - so that no one can change their votes.
  4. Show results. 

Let me knot if this could work for you! :)

Yes, I am looking to get authentic responses from the group without them being affected by others’ responses--and then for them to see the results.  What I’m describing is the same way many online polls appear -- the pop-up polls on news websites and other sites -- where, after responding to the poll, the site visitor is immediately shown a statistical breakdown of all of the votes that have been received (so far).  

I would run this kind of poll prior to an event -- as a way of getting early engagement and gathering opinions / preferences prior to being “live” online with the group.  After they’ve submitted their response, I’d like them to be able to see the results of the whole group’s voting, as of that moment.  Ideally, they’d be able to check back later and see how the overall stats have changed as more people have responded, but that’s more elaborate and wouldn’t be a must-have.  I don’t find your solution workable--because your solution seems to be geared toward a guided, live poll experience, where I can immediately close voting after they respond and then reveal poll results, all during one short episode.  

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi again @Chad,

Thank you for elaborating on your use case - it’s very helpful! :)

You’re right, Slido is more build to be used at live events and not really for asynchronous polling such as your use case. 

Many of our users start collecting questions or send out simple polls/surveys to find a little more info about their participants before the event but it is much more of a simple setup compared to what you’re looking for. 

Unfortunately, you’re right, Slido might not be the best tool for you in this case. 

Please let me know if there’s anything else that I can help you with or if you’re looking for more live interaction in the future!

I am wondering essentially the same thing… I am trying to use it for giving quiz questions in class.

Students don’t see what others have answered until I click to show results… at that point, I don’t want anyone to be able to change their answers, as I use correct/incorrect answers for part of their grade. 

Note: This is in PowerPoint.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @HbearDave,

You could simply run a quiz in PowerPoint :) This does everything you need automatically - it reveals the answers only after you’ve clicked on the screen and it locks voting as soon as the results are showing.

Hope this helps!

Thank you Meggie… I stumbled onto this myself this morning.

It appears that the “quiz” can still just be individual questions throughout a presentation.

This is exactly what I was looking for!

I'm grateful, Meggie. I Think,It seems that a presentation can still be a "quiz" made up entirely of individual questions. I've been looking for anything like this!