Run a Multiple choice poll

Userlevel 3
Badge

Use the multiple choice poll to learn more about the audience’s preferences and opinions, and to test their knowledge.

In this article:

Create a multiple choice poll

1. Open your Slido event
  2. Go to Live polls
  3. Select Multiple choice
  4. Type in your question and the answer options
  5. Hit Launch to activate your poll instantly or select Save to use it later

Creating a multiple choice poll

If your question has a correct answer, click on the circle next to the answer option to mark it as correct.

You can also toggle on the following settings in the top right corner:

• Multiple options - allows participants to choose more than one option

• Show results as pie chart (BETA) - turns your poll results into a pie chart

• Poll description - lets you add text below the poll question

• Hide live results - hides results from participants 

• Poll image - here you can add a picture to your poll question (available in paid plans only)

If you need to make changes to your poll, click the three dots next to your poll and select Edit

Test your poll and see how it works for your participants

To see how the poll works for your participants:

1. Activate the poll by clicking the green play button (not needed if you hit Launch when creating the poll)
  2. Open Participant mode on the left and submit a test answer

To remove your test answer and make your poll blank, make sure to reset the results by clicking on the three dots next to the poll and selecting Reset poll.

Testing a multiple choice poll

Run a multiple choice poll

When you’re ready to run your poll during the meeting, activate the poll and open Present mode

To prevent your audience from getting influenced by other participants’ answers, you can hide the results until you get enough votes. Keep an eye on the vote counter in the top right corner and reveal the final results when you’re ready.

Running a multiple choice poll in present mode

By default, answer options are ordered based on popularity and results are displayed as percentages. You can change how results are displayed in event settings.

How we calculate the scores

With the ranking poll, participants essentially give points to each option and the higher someone ranks an option, the more points it receives. Using an example of participants needing to rank 3 options, the option ranked first receives 3 points, the second gets 2 points and the third gets 1 point.

Once voting is over, we count up these points for each option and divide it by the number of people who participated in the ranking poll. This gives us an average, ranked score for each option and the option with the highest score is the most preferred one.

My results do not sum to 100%. Is Slido broken?

First of all, if you have enabled multiple answers for a multiple choice poll, then there is a high chance that the sum of all results will exceed 100%. For example, if every participant chose all of the available options, then each options would display 100% and the sum of all results would be 100% × number of options available. This is expected and should be quite intuitive.

You can lock voting which stops participants from voting while keeping the poll active and showing the results.

Curious about more?

18 replies

Hi! Seeking expert opinion 🙈 what is fairer , a ranking poll (3choices) or multiple choice poll(choose 3 options) for winner by audience choice?

For a story competition for audience to vote top 3 authors out of 12 finalists? We need 1 clear winner, 2 runner-ups(same amount of votes r alright). 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Bhagya

It sounds like you could mean that due to the fifteen options, the display in present mode isn’t showing all of them. There isn’t a way to format this to show two options in a row and our polls can generally display 8 options in present mode without the need to scroll. To remedy this, we do have an option to Zoom In/Out in present mode, making displaying options easier!

Let me know if you have any more questions or there’s anything we can do to help! Our customer care team are available 24/5 on support@slido.com to take a closer look. 

Hope this helps! 

I have created multiple options poll there are 15 options, in each row it adds one option is there a way to add two options in a row?

Thanks.  I think I will need to make two polls and two links to make this work. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello @JWPaul 

I would recommend creating two separate polls for this. 

After that you could copy and paste a permanent link to a specific poll and manually share different link with a different group of people. 

Another alternative would be creating two separate events in Slido and for each Slido there would be a different poll and again instead of sharing permanent link to a specific poll you could share a permanent link directly with someone for a specific group. 

I want to give a multiple choice question to a group, but I want there to be two different versions of the question (with different wording).  Is there a way to randomly assign participants to the different questions?

Full disclosure, I want to replicate the anchor bias discussed in Gladwell’s book Blink.  So one group would get these two questions:

Was Gandhi younger than 30 when he died? (y/n)

How old was Gandhi when he died?

The other group would get these two questions

Was Gandhi older than 100 when he died? (y/n)

How old was Gandhi when he died?

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Jaja ,

Thanks for your question!

I would suggest using a Multiple Choice poll for this so it would show you by number of votes who would be 1, 2, and 3 place as our Ranking poll calculation would allow each person to rank those authors themselves in order of preference to them.

You can find more about the calculation of the ranking poll here.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Is there a limit on how many choices we can put in?

Hello Slido-Team :)

Your tool would be he perfect fit for my live-show, I’m just missing on little thing and I’m wondering if I’m overlooking something or if there might be a workaround. 

Basically what I’d need is this: 

A comprehensible list of participants names (I saw that you can log in with a name) linked to the answers they gave. So that at the end of the show I can see: Participant A answered 5 questions right, participant B only 3 right answers etc. 

Am I overlooking something or is that not possible at the moment?

Is it possible to display the result of a poll in multiple ways? eg I have a multiple choice question which allows people to select 5 best responses from a list of 24. I want to see everyone’s results for this as a the standard horizontal bar graph and also want to display the results as a word cloud on the next slide. Can I create a word cloud from my multiple choice results?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @JD_Liveprod ,

This is possible! You would use the “Poll results per User” option in the Exports, this will share a list of all participants and how theyve responded to each Poll.

You should also be sure to collect names and emails, as well as set the Participant privacy to “always require name” so that they cannot submit anonymously.

Be sure to check the Plans which include these features as some of them are paid features.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Would it be possible to have free text function under multiple choice? I would like to achieve the function that I have one option ‘Others’ and participants who choose ‘Others’ can type in words and specify.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @JDresser

There isn’t a strict limit on how many choices can be input, however, there are character limits for Polls & Q&A

Just for reference, the character limit is 256 characters, but there is a workaround to add a poll description

Hope this helps!

Thank you Carly, that helped a lot :)

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Vousmevoyez , 

That function is not currently an option within Slido but we will submit this as a feature request for future consideration!

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @goosetogo,

It’s not possible to display poll results in multiple ways at the moment, but you can export your results and format your responses into graphs or other visuals.

Polls will only show you results in one format (i.e. word cloud polls will show a word cloud), but you can export your responses into Excel or Google sheets and then format the results.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions :)

Is it possible to create a multiple choice but only have two of the three choices count in the total percentage? For example, in our board votes we have for, against, or abstain but only the For(s) and Against(s) count in whether the vote passes or not.  Thank you, Tina

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @TinaB,

At the moment, all options in the multiple choice poll will count in the total percentage. As a workaround, you could show the number of votes instead of percentages or you could export your results and then remove the ‘abstain’ option from the exported sheet.

Does this help? :)