How to use Slido with Google Slides

• 24 August 2020
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Integrate Slido with Google Slides and start adding polls and quizzes directly to your presentation. You'll be able to display the results and audience questions on your slides in real time.

If you’re a Google Workspace Administrator looking to install the Slido extension for your entire organization, check out our specific guide for that

In this article: 

Install our Extension and open it

Please note: For Slido polls to work, you need to be presenting from a Google account that has the Slido extension installed. For optimum results, this works best alongside the chrome extension too! 

1. Install our Extension
  2. Click Extension, select Slido for Google Slides and Open the sidebar
  3. Choose a session you want to work with or create a new one

Having trouble with the Extension? Scroll all the way down to find our troubleshooting guide

Creating a session with Slido Extension

Install our Slido Chrome extension

For seamless presenting, install our extension for Google Chrome along with the add-on.

It is not required but it ensures that your animations, transitions, videos and GIFs all work well when presenting with our Slido for Google Slides add-on.

Read more about the integration's limitations, some of which can be fixed by installing our Chrome extension.

Add live polls and Q&A to your presentation

In the sidebar, you can Add a live poll, Add a quiz or Add a Q&A slide.

Adding live polls and Q&A

An #eventcode meant for your participants to join the Slido event will be added to all of your slides in the upper right corner when presenting.

For polls and quizzes:

A new slide will be added to your presentation whenever you create a poll or a quiz. When you get to a Slido poll slide in your presentation, the poll will be activated automatically and your audience will be able to vote in real time. 

For Audience Q&A:

As with polls, when you add Q&A, a new slide will be created. Audience Q&A will be open throughout your whole presentation and the questions will be displayed once you get to the Q&A slide.

Customize your slides

You can change the theme of Slido slides, set custom colors or upload a custom background image directly in Google Slides.

1. Click on the hamburger menu icon in the top left of the sidebar
  2. Select Customize
  3. Select your theme or click Edit and select custom colours or upload a background image

How to present with Slido

To start presenting your slideshow, remember to click the Present with Slido button in the sidebar.

If you're using our Chrome extension, you can use the regular Present button.

When displaying your poll results you can choose between:

• Show immediately: The poll results are displayed as soon as you get to your slide with the poll.

• Show on click: The poll itself is displayed automatically when you get to your slide with the poll. Advancing one more click will display the poll results (see the GIF below).

• Do not show: The poll itself is displayed automatically when you get to your slide with the poll. Advancing one more click will take you to the next slide in your presentation without showing the poll results.

• Zoom In/Out: If you want to display several poll results that don’t fit to the present screen, you can zoom in and out while presenting

• Image polls: If you add images to your polls, you can choose to show the image and poll side by side, show the image before results or not show the results

Polls Using Google Slides

Zooming In/Out in Google Slides

Ask your audience to join

The #eventcode for your participants to join the event is displayed either in your sidebar or on all your slides in the upper right corner while presenting.

Ask your audience to enter the #eventcode at slido.com to join the event. They will then be able to vote in the polls and participate in the Q&A.

Access settings

Some event settings like privacy or branding can only be changed via Slido admin. To access event settings:

1. Click on the hamburger menu icon in the top left of the sidebar
  2. Click on the event name
  3. Select Open additional settings
  4. Slido admin opens in a new tab

It is currently not possible to unlink a Slido event from the Google Slides presentation, but you can reuse the event or add a new session to your presentation.

Troubleshooting

Here is a list of the most common issues and how to fix them:

• The sidebar says “Drive refuses to connect”.
    Solution: Log out of Chrome and log in again. Alternatively, you can try to use the same Google account in both Google Drive and Chrome.

• I can’t see the add-on or I only see Help in the menu.
    Solution: Refresh the Google Slides presentation and make sure you’ve installed the add-on to the Google account that you use for presentations.

• I opened my .pptx file in Google Slides, but I can’t see the add-on
    Solution: In Google Slides, create a “blank” presentation. Then, click File > Import Slides and Upload the preferred PowerPoint presentation from your computer. Then, select all slides you want to import to Google Slides. 

• I can’t log in to the add-on. It just keeps loading.
    Solution: Create a new Google Slides presentation or Make a copy of the existing one and log in there.

• The sidebar says the presentation is linked to another account and I can’t log in.
    Solution: Make a copy of the Google Slides presentation. Either someone else created Slido in the presentation or you created it with a different account.

• I can’t install the Chrome extension to my account.
    Solution: See if your company admin can help you with the installation and share with them this guide.

Curious about more?

12 replies

Hello ! My issue is the following one :

You do not have permission to call Session.getActiveUser. Required permissions: https://www.googleapis.com/auth/userinfo.email

Many thanks in advance !

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Doris , 

This looks related to a temporary issue we had with Google Slides yesterday that is now fixed. If you refresh the slides, you shouldn’t have any more issues with the sidebar.

If you are still having issues, I would recommend getting in touch with our amazing customer care team. You can start a live chat from your slido admin page, or alternatively, get in touch at support@slido.com

Hope this helps!

Hi everyone

I have a Google Slides presentation including a Slido which I have used many times. A couple of days ago I could suddenly no longer connect. When I try to open the sidebar I get the message: “Something went wrong. Try to close and open the sidebar again.”

I’ve tried to reinstalling Slido, making new slideshows and so on but nothing works. I’ve also used the Check.me tool and everything is fine. 

Has anyone else had this happen before or have an idea what to do?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @NBDK

Could you try the Google Slides troubleshooting? If this still doesn’t work, I would advise getting in touch with our customer care team at support@slido.com, they’ll be able to dig a little deeper here. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Is it possible to moderate poll results with the Slido extension for Google Slides? I’ve have issues with students posting inappropriate responses. I’d like to be able to view and delete responses before displaying them. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Ambergrant7

Apologies for the late reply, we must have missed this! 

Whilst you are unable to moderate poll answers, you can use moderation for Q&A’s on some of our paid plans. 

A work around to prevent inappropriate answers when using polls, would be to use a ranking, rating or multiple choice poll, as the participants cannot submit an open text answer. 

Hope this helps! 

Hi, 

I have installed Slido and added the extension to Chrome.  When I click the add on button, the side bar with initiate, but nothing shows up on the menu.  I’ve never seen this before, so I’m wondering how I can troubleshoot. 

Cheers,

Lu

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @nylulu73

I’m sorry to hear about your issue. For us to be able to look into this, could you reach out to our customer care team with any screenshots to support@slido.com or through live chat in Slido admin? We can then work with you to find a solution. 

Best,

Is it possible to not deactivate a poll when you click off its slide? For example, our last poll is the meeting feedback, but we have a few slides to present after we activate that poll. But moving onto the next slide automatically deactivates it.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Victor Tey ,

You would need to reactivate it from slido.com in the event to allow it to remain active. When Slido is integrated into Presentation decks, it will automatically disable the poll when leaving the Slido interaction Slide.

Let us know if this helps!

Best,

HELP!

I bought the event plan for USD80, but on google slides it still does not allow me to create more than 3 polls. Could someone please help?

I have logged out and logged back in but still does not work

Badge

Hey @jesstangwgsn,

I’m sorry to hear that! 

Usually this happens when the event you have connected to your Google Slides is either:

1, Created by someone else and you’re collaborating on it

2, Event was created before you bought the plan.

I’d recommend creating a new event and linking that to your Google Slides presentation. 

If you still have issues, please open a chat with us on slido.com and we will be able to help you in real time.

Kindly,