How to use Slido for PowerPoint

• 24 August 2020
  • 46 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Integrate Slido with your PowerPoint presentation to include live polls, quizzes, and Q&A directly in your slides. The Slido sidebar allows you to create and edit your interactions without ever leaving PowerPoint.

If something’s not working for you, please see the current limitations and check out our troubleshooting guides (Windows or macOS)

In this article:

System requirements

Make sure that your computer meets the following requirements so that Slido for PowerPoint runs properly.

Windows:

• Microsoft PowerPoint 2016 or later
  • Windows 10 22H2 or later

If you’re a Windows administrator for your organization, check out our specific guide for admins. This includes more detailed system requirements, plus instructions for installing Slido for PowerPoint on Windows for your entire team.

macOS:

• macOS 12.0 (Monterey) or later
  • Microsoft PowerPoint 2021 or later with October 2023 update (16.78) applied

Download and install the integration

1. Download Slido for PowerPoint
  2. Install it on your computer
  3. Launch it

You’ll need to follow these steps on each computer you are using to create or present your presentation. For your polls to work correctly, you must first install Slido and ensure you are logged in through the sidebar.

If you followed these steps and still have issues, please see our guides for troubleshooting (Windows or macOS).

Add Slido to your presentation

Open your PowerPoint presentation and you'll now see the Slido button under the Home tab. Don’t see the button? Restart PowerPoint.

1. Click the Slido button to open the sidebar
  2. Log in if necessary
  3. Select a slido to use or create a new one

Adding Slido to your presentation

Pro tip: Use the filter and search options to find and add a specific slido. This is especially helpful if you’re a license owner, license admin, or anyone else who has access to a lot of slidos.

Filter or search for specific slidos

Add live polls and Q&A to your presentation

Adding polls:

Under New interaction, choose a poll type to add to your PowerPoint presentation. Polls are added as individual slides and they activate automatically as you present. This allows your audience to vote in real time.

Select a poll type

Displaying poll results when presenting:

When adding or editing a poll, you can choose how to display your poll results. If you don’t want to display the results to your audience, simply toggle off Show results. When it’s toggled on, you have two options for displaying the results:

• Immediately: The poll question and results are displayed in real time when presenting the slide.

• On click: The poll question is displayed first when presenting the slide. Advancing one more click displays the results.

Adding a poll and choosing how to display results

Adding Q&A:

Just like polls, adding Q&A creates a new slide. The Audience Q&A is open throughout your presentation, but the Q&A slide displays the questions directly while presenting.

Adding a Q&A slide

Slido for PowerPoint now offers an AI Quiz BETA feature for Basic users. It functions just like a standard Slido quiz, but is created in just seconds using AI. 

Change your Slido theme

Easily change the theme of Slido slides to match your presentation. You can add your custom colors or upload a background image directly from the sidebar.

1. Click on the hamburger menu icon in the top left of the sidebar
  2. Select Customize

Choose a theme from our gallery – or click Edit to select custom colors or upload a background image.

Change the theme of your slido

Start presenting

Once you've finished preparing your slides and you're ready to go, start your slideshow.

You can begin your slideshow as normal or simply select the green Present button in the Slido sidebar.

Begin presenting with Slido

Your polls will activate automatically as you present them. The results will update in real time on your slide and on participant devices.

Pro tip: Use images to add context to your poll questions. Select the image icon when creating or editing a poll to upload a picture from your desktop.

Add an image to your poll

Ask your audience to join

Every Slido slide will display the slido code and QR code on the left side. To join, participants can enter the slido code at slido.com or scan the QR code on their mobile devices.

Once they join, they can interact with your polling and Q&A.

You can also pair our PowerPoint integration with Webex, Zoom, or Microsoft Teams. This allows your meeting participants to join directly from their meeting window.

Pro tip: Add a Joining slide to your presentation. Joining slides display the joining instructions for Slido. It’s great for introducing your audience to Slido and inviting them to participate.

Add a Slido joining slide to your presentation

Collaborating on a presentation

If you’re preparing the presentation with someone else, they’ll be able to see the Slido interaction slides as well.

Double-check that you have the AutoSave option enabled in PowerPoint. This will sync the file either with your OneDrive or SharePoint account. You can then share the presentation with your colleague.

In order for the presentation to run properly with Slido, make sure that:

• The person presenting has the Slido for PowerPoint app installed
  • The person presenting has co-host access to the slido which is linked to the presentation. They can request this access directly from the sidebar.

Settings

Slido settings are located under the hamburger menu in the top left corner of the sidebar. See the menu options below and learn how they can help get the most out of your presentation with Slido.

• Copy joining link: This is a direct link for participants to join your slido. Copy and paste it wherever you need to.

• Sharing settings: View and manage co-host access to your slido.

• Customize: Change the theme for your Slido slides to match your presentation.

• Advanced settings: This opens up your full settings at slido.com. Here you can adjust more complex settings such as privacy or branding.

• Download results: This opens up your Analytics at slido.com. Here you can view and download your data.

• Reset interactions: Use this option to reuse the same slido within the presentation. Poll results will be deleted and Q&A questions will be archived.

• Duplicate Slido: Use this option when you’re using the same presentation with a new audience. This will create a new slido with the same polls attached to your slide deck. Your original polls and audience questions  will still be available to you at slido.com under the original slido.

• Get help: This opens up our Help Center.

• Recent Slidos: Select a different slido to use with your presentation.

It is currently not possible to unlink a slido from the Powerpoint presentation, but you can reuse the slido or add a new one to your presentation.

Curious about more?

Get Inspired: 

Interactive Poll ideas for your next PowerPoint presentation

Slido for education

See how others are using Slido

46 replies

Hi is it possible to add real time slido quiz into PowerPoint without installing the integration? Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Montee,

The integration is the best way to combine PowerPoint and Slido. Although it’s not possible to add Slido into PowerPoint presentation without installing the integration, there is another option.

If you open present mode in your browser, you can then switch between your presentation and Slido present mode using either the three-finger swipe (on Mac) or the keyboard shortcut Alt+Tab (on Windows).

Please note that this doesn’t add Slido directly to your presentation, it’s simply a way to switch between the two (your presentation and Slido).

I hope this helps :) Let me know if you have any questions!

Hello,

I use Slido directly from PowePoint so that I don’t have to exit my presentation while presenting. In the past, I’ve been able to create a multiple choice quiz right in PowerPoint but when I try to now, it only allows me to create a one question quiz. Once I go to Slido website I can create a multiple question quiz but I’d have to leave my presentation to do so. What happened? How was I able to do so in the past and not anymore? 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @GQ_Jay,

In PowerPoint, you can only create one quiz question at a time, but they all add up into one quiz poll.

When you’re creating a quiz in PowerPoint, you need to add all questions one by one and they all have a separate slide. But this doesn’t mean they are all separate polls. When you open your event from www.slido.com, you will see that all questions were added into one quiz poll.

So to create a quiz poll in PowerPoint, simply add all of your quiz questions one by one and you’re good to go! :)

Hope this helps! I can see how this would be confusing and I will pass it on as feedback. Let me know if you need anything else.

I have created a poll in ppt and have added a background graphics, changed the typeface etc.

When switching to presenter mode,

1. my customization does not show - only the standard white slido look appears
  2. the question and graph is not corretcly scaled, i.e. it is wider than the screen. text and graphics run off the right side of the screen.

Am I doing sth wrong or is this a slido error?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey@Gerdf,

Sorry to hear the integration is behaving strangely!

my customization does not show - only the standard white slido look appears

How did you set up the customization? Could you share some screenshots of what you see?

the question and graph is not corretcly scaled, i.e. it is wider than the screen. text and graphics run off the right side of the screen.

This sometimes happens if you have the Display Settings in PowerPoint set up to "Optimize for best appearance". Try the steps below and let me know if it helped:

1. Go to File > Options > General > User Interface options

2. Set it to Optimize for compatibility

Let me know if anything’s unclear :)

Hi @Meggie from Slido , thank you for your answer.

I have found out how to customize the slido pages with background graphics etc now. And you hint to change ppt options did the magic!!!

All the best

Userlevel 5
Badge

Happy to hear it helped,  @Gerdf! :)

Hello,

is it possible to present the quiz results for each question in real time on a power point presentation? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @pawel

Yes, this is possible! 

Our Slido Quizzes are designed to be presented live and by default will present the result for each question on a PowerPoint slide. 
You can do this by adding the questions one by one.

Let me know if you have any questions, I’ll be happy to point you in the right direction. 

Hi, I am a new Slido user. I have created a slido and want to insert it into my PPT. However, when I click on the Slido button no events show up in my side panel (see below). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @bobreednz

You are not seeing your slido in PowerPoint because it needs to be created with the Slido add in whilst using Slido for PowerPoint to link them. Once you create a slido in PowerPoint, this will show in the Slido sidebar. 

We have a great troubleshooting guide if you run into any issues and this article states any limitations to the integration. 

Hope these help! 

In my PowerPoint I tried to insert 2 live surveys on 2 different slides and Slido wants me to switch sessions? How do I insert my live survey’s?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @SpeakerSueLH,

You can only link a single slido to one PowerPoint deck. To run multiple Slido polls or surveys in your presentation, simply add your slido and then add the polls or surveys.

After you’ve added your slido, you can then add polls like this.

Here is the full tutorial for our PowerPoint integration:

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need anything else :)

Hello, I have created a slido and added three slides with open text questions to my powerpoint. When I run it on my system in slide show mode, I can see the QR code and slido code, which the participants can use to answer questions.

I have shared the powerpoint presentation with my other colleague. However, when she runs the ppt in slide show mode on her system, she is unable to see the QR code or slido code on the three slides. What possibly is going wrong here? Thanks for providing guidance.

Badge

Hi @Kashif, to use Slido with PowerPoint you must install the integration on each computer from which you will be presenting a slide show which has Slido in it.

Regards,
@Jozi from Slido 

Hi Slido team, 

After my presentations I usually print a PDF version of the slides. Would it be possible to integrate the results of Polls and Q&A in the print-version and/or add them to the powerpoint if you end the survey? 

BR 

Hello!

I have a Slido presentation that has already been linked in PowerPoint that I’ve taken over for my team. I am attempting to add some additional slides to the presentation to include the remaining quiz questions that haven’t been included in the original presentation. How do I do this effectively? 

I tried to duplicate the previous slide and add the new quiz question that way, but it ended up changing both slides when I input the question. I seem to be missing about 5 questions from the quiz - how do I now add them to PowerPoint so they actually appear for the participants? 

Your help is greatly appreciated! 

Thank you, 

Deanna 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @DeannaC

I’m sorry to hear about the issue you’re having. Would you be able to contact our customer care team, they’re available 24/5 and will able to look into what’s happened here in more detail. You can contact them via our live chat or by reaching out to support@slido.com

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Hello!

I’m having issues with Slido in PowerPoint connecting to Slido in Webex. I have created polls in the slide deck, saved and then Share > File into Webex and the slido will not pop up in Webex.

Is there a reason the two are not connecting? 

Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey @Bw2410 ,

When using the PPT and Webex together with Slido, you will need to input the Slido polls into PPT directly (as it seems you have done) but the upload PPT deck into Webex is not compatible with Slido in this way. You will need to click on Apps > Slido > Link the respective slido to the Webex Meeting that you also have in the PPT deck.

As you move through the PPT deck via Share Screen, you will then see the Slido polls activating automatically within the Webex integration when you get to a Slido poll in the PPT deck.

Since Slido needs internet connection, there is not a way to download a PPT deck and also have Slido interactions working, it would just show the holding slide and not activate the poll.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Best,

Hi Carly, 

Thank you so much for your reply. 

Can you please elaborate on how to link the respective Slido to the Webex Meeting that I also have in the PPT deck. When I go to find the slido from the deck in Webex >Apps > Slido. It does not appear. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey @Bw2410 , 

Are you on a Paid Webex account with Slido enabled for your Webex Org? If you are just a Basic Slido account using Webex login, you wont be able to use the Webex integration.

Please write to support@slido.com with the slido code or chat into us so we can take a better look into your account to see what might be happening!

Best,

Hello! We used Slido for the first time today during a large meeting, and one big bummer that we couldn’t figure out, was a way to show in the PowerPoint presentation the replies that the moderator was responding with. Is this not a possibility? Do you have to have a paid plan or certain settings? Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU

I’m wanting to run a Slido poll on an existing slide because I want audience members to answer questions about what they see on that slide. Is there a way to do that? I only see ways to make Slido polls a separate stand alone slide.