Slido for PowerPoint on macOS: IT admin guide

• 4 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

As an IT administrator, you can download and deploy Slido for PowerPoint on macOS for users within your organization. See our guide below for detailed steps and additional resources.

If you’re a Windows administrator, see our Windows-specific guide that includes an MSI file for bulk installation.

In this article:

System requirements

• macOS version 12.0 (Monterey) or later
  • Microsoft PowerPoint 2021 or later with October 2023 update (16.78) applied
  • Microsoft 365 for Mac October 2023 update (16.78) or newer

For system troubleshooting, please see the Microsoft guide for supported Microsoft 365 and Office for Mac apps

Install Slido for PowerPoint on macOS for your organization

Follow the below steps to download and install Slido for PowerPoint on macOS for users in your organization.

1. Double check that you meet the previously stated system requirements.

2. Go to our Slido for PowerPoint homepage, make sure that macOS is selected, and click Download.

3. Add the downloaded SlidoForMac.dmg package to your deployment tool (e.g. Microsoft Intune or JAMF). The deployment tool should install the Slido.app from the DMG package into the /Applications folder.

4. Installation is finished when users run the Slido.app on their individual computers.

If you run into any issues, please see the Slido for PowerPoint limitations and our macOS troubleshooting guide.

Application updates

The Slido.app supports auto updates. When a user runs it, the app will automatically check for new versions and offer any available update.

To disable automatic update checks, use the following setting:

defaults write com.slido.SlidoApp SUEnableAutomaticChecks NO

Note that users will be able to manually check for updates under Slido > Check for updates...

Downloads

Curious about more?

3 replies

Hi,

Having to “finish” the installation after “installing” the app is not great. Can you provide a silent install option for macOS which does a complete install please? This is essential in today's cyber security landscape so we don’t have to give our users admin rights on their Macs to install applications.

Kind Regards

CraigO

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @CraigO 

Our post installation step does not require administrative rights.The user can run the Slido app at any time to get support and to ensure it is registered to PowerPoint correctly.

As admins, you can deploy Slido using the steps in our article. Admins can finish the registration to PowerPoint on behalf of the user using our command. The command must be run in the context of the user account. Command to finish the installation:

/Applications/Slido.app/Contents/MacOS/Slido -RunType install -Silent true

That’s great, thanks @Ondrej from Slido 

Sorry for the confusion, I had a user state they required admin rights and I confess I did not confirm that and I feel terrible that I didn’t 😅

Thank you very much for the additional command, that will help in optimising our end user experience.

Kind Regards

CraigO