Question

How to turn off verification email when using query parameters to pull fname + lname + email?

• 23 October 2020
  • 9 replies

We are pulling first name, last name and email into our Slido embed and our users are getting a verification email when joining the session. Is there a way to turn this off? It is really annoying and not necessary for our purposes. 

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi there!

Unfortunately, we can’t turn off these verification emails.

However, your participants won’t get them the first time they join your session, only if they rejoin - and every time thereafter. This is to make sure they always join with the same credentials and do not share their credentials with other people.

Please let me know if this makes sense :) 

Hi @Alex 

I agree with @EventPowerTechTeam as we run events and this is quite annoying. Please consider providing us the option to toggle this verification pin code on and off for the guest, as sometimes they have to revisit the log in several times over the course of a long event, say a multi-day conference with lots of interaction. We have received complaints about this from our guests several times.

If I turn off the verification for email, they can log in using their names only, so therefore no code is sent to them anyway. So if we want them to use email to log in, it's really just for tracking purposes to improve our analytics accuracy, and not enter as an Anonymous or First name attendee. 

So maybe provide us the option to have the verification pin code turn on or off, depending on how secure we want the event to be? That would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Hi @Alex I agree with everyone here, for our large scale events, sometimes with people that are not very tech saavy we need to get attendees to our events with as little resistance as possible. The fewer clicks the better and jumping back and forth for PINs is extremely burdensome for many.

I understand why it can be used, but to toggle it on/off would be extremely helpful. It ends up being a hurdle to work through for our team.

I agree, we have the same frustrations. Sli.do could be a great option when you’re hosting your own virtual events, but this seriously detracts from the user experience. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thank you so much for your feedback everyone! 

I can definitely see the pain-point with this, while our team tried to build in a level of security with verification emails - they can become annoying very quickly, especially for larger events, where this security layer isn’t as needed, especially when the end goal is to simply collect more data on your participants.

Hearing these pains really helps our teams realize the full potential and downfall of our features! 

We’re including this whole thread in our upcoming User Experience report to dive deeper into how we can improve this for you. 

I’ve also talked to our Product Manager that takes care of the participants experience side of things to see if this can be added to their roadmap!

I’ll make sure to keep you posted about the progress! Again, thank you so much for the feedback :) 

Let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with in the meantime.

I found this thread today, because I had the same question. I understand the importance of keeping the same login when coming back to an event, I appreciate the accuracy that it will provide for reporting. But we would like to keep resistance and number of clicks to a minimum.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thank you for your feedback @WanerlikeWater
I’ll make sure to raise this with our Product Team again to see if there’s anything we can do to improve the experience. 

I have also just found this thread and I am surprised this has not been fixed despite so many specific use cases being presented. The email verification tool has actually prevented me from using slido on a number of events and had me try out alternatives like Mentimeter… 

The main issue with the email verification is that it often gets blocked by corporate firewalls, soo although it may add an extra layer of security in theory in practice it often prevents users from joining the event at all, which then results in my clients getting frustrated and telling me to use alternatives to Slido for their next event. 

This has occurred with the Foschini Group, Mercedes and Standard Bank. If my clients continue to get frustrated and with Slido and therefore mandate alternatives, I will eventually have no reason to keep using slido. Considering how amazing the Sli.do platform is, it would be great if we could get this specific issue resolved.

Hi, has there been any updates to this?  We use Slido extensively embedded into our web application, and users continue to be frustrated they have to manually enter their info in on Slido even though they are logged into our app.  We have tried the parameter option a few times over the past few years, but as many others have mentioned it’s a horrible end-user experience to have to go through a verification process for someone who’s already logged in and doesn’t understand why they need to leave the event to find an email just to get the Q&A to load.   

@Alex any updates or suggestions for what to expect in 2024 on this key issue would be greatly appreciated 🙏