Skip to main content

New Slido interface feature continuity

New Slido interface feature continuity

Slido’s new interface was designed with ease of use and efficiency at the forefront. The core functionalities (polling and Q&A) are stronger, quicker, and more intuitive than ever. However, this does mean that a few features had to be deprecated.

See below for:

Features returning in the future

• Changes from the three-dot menu: Sharing a link and embed code for your individual poll will again be possible.

• Poll Settings: Poll settings will eventually include adding descriptions to any poll type, and low/high descriptors to rating polls.

• Polls Library: Access previous polls and poll templates.

• Close voting in Q&A: After closing your Q&A, the ability to also close the up/down voting of questions.

• Edit host replies in Q&A: Edit a host or co-host’s reply to a submitted Q&A question.

• Share an announcement: The ability to share an announcement with participants directly in Slido was previously available in Q&A only. We’re currently working to improve the announcement experience as a whole – plus make it available throughout the entire slido (not just Q&A).

• Other: On top of these future features, you’ll also be able to duplicate your poll into a different room, build a survey from a single poll, and search your Q&A as a host.

Features that may return

• Moderator editing a submitted Q&A question: We believe nobody should edit someone else’s submitted question. However, sometimes translations are needed from a moderator and so we are currently evaluating this.

• Filter Q&A by Label in Present mode: This feature is rarely used, but we are open to exploring more relevant use cases.

• Switch view for Switcher: Slido’s Switcher app is currently not supported with the new interface. With Slido for PowerPoint now supporting macOS, there’s less and less need for Switcher.

Using any of the features above? If you’re willing to share your use case, we’d love to talk to you.

Features leaving permanently

Developing the new interface gave us the opportunity to look critically at our product and understand how it was being used. As a result, there are elements of Slido that we will be sunsetting.

• Agenda/Session: We developed the agenda feature when we were mostly used at conferences. In 2024, Slido is mostly used within companies to help facilitate conversation between leaders and their teams. This means that the agenda feature has very low usage and so we decided against the investment it would need to modernize the technology it’s built on.

• Ideas: The Ideas feature was designed in a way that makes it difficult to evolve. We are currently exploring other brainstorming poll designs, including an enhanced open text poll, that will better address the needs of our users.

• Show results as pie chart (multiple choice poll): This is another feature with low usage. The improvements needed to match our quality standards are simply too costly.

• Star a Q&A question: This feature was replaced with our more powerful Q&A Labels function.

• Archive a Q&A reply: This has been replaced with the Delete reply action.

If you do rely on any of these features, please reach out and tell us about your use case at support@slido.com

14 replies

Badge

Moderator’s announcement is currently missing in the new interface and is a great feature :

• For virtual event with embeded live video : If you have a technical problem, to alert participants.
  • For live meetings : A way to announce what’s comming next, or that the pause is over and it’s time to go back to the conference room.
Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey @plizon ,

Thanks for sharing the reasons why you like this feature! We will be adding the Announcements feature but in a different way which is still being developed.

We will have the rest of the features available within the following months before we deprecate the old interface permanently.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Good to see the continuous evolution of the tool.

The Idea feature will be missed! We used it as a means for the participants to chat, as we want to separate chat from real questions for the Q&A. Curious how other companies are doing that. 
And please keep the ability to editthe Q&A. In our multilingual country we indeed edit those to translate a question for the presenter.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @markus-pxs 

you could run the chat as an open-text poll. You can name the poll as a chat and give some instructions for participants. Then they can keep submitting their votes as a post to the chat. I hope this would work for your use-case. 

When it comes to editing option as a host this option is not possible but in case you would want to have a feature that translates questions from native language into English on a participant side then you can approach our support@slido.com team who could enable one of our testing features that could help you with your use-case. 

Kindly

Hi Ondrej, thanks for the suggestion for the open-text poll. But the fact that one needs to post a chat to start seeing the chat of the other participants makes it not usable. If you’re participating in a digital session with hundreds or thousands of participants (with embedded live video), the chat makes a huge difference in terms of end user experience and emotion, as you can share your opinion and feelings about the session. So I am a bit surprised that it’s not developed yet as a feature. Maybe it is because a lot of focus goes to integrating Slido in Teams or Zoom. In our use case we’re using the Slido platform landing page and have every interaction therein.
I guess we stay with the ‘old’ version as long as possible ;-)

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @markus-pxs I see what you mean. Thank you for the point. I will forward this feedback to the product as well. 

Agree shame to lose the Ideas tab - Can a thumbs up feature we added to the open text poll? That is one of the main features we use in brainstorming sessions - The thumbs up allows everyone to see the most popular ideas. If this is in development could a rough timeline be provided as otherwise our clients want us to look at other polling systems that provide this feature

Also what date will Ideas be permanently unavailable as mentioned this is one of our most used features and not knowing if one day we log in and it’s suddenly gone isn’t very useful

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey @MMP ,

Thanks for sharing the details of your use case. This helps us when sharing the need for new features.

I wanted to add, with the improved design of Slido, it will also make adding new features easier with the design. We are looking into adding an upvote option to the Open Text poll and will share any details of new features to our Product News.

We will be sending out emails in the fall when we finalize the date for deprecating the Old Interface and the features going away mentioned above as we have many determining factors for the planned deprecation. There will be plenty of heads up before the Old interface is no longer available.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Best,

I too would like to voice my sadness with the removal of the Ideas tab. We use the Slido page for a lot of our broadcasts and meetings with live video embedded into the page and use the Ideas tab as a sort of chat function to keep it separate from questions that would come in. 

I don’t think creating an open poll text response will duplicate this feature as an audience member would have to submit their own response before seeing others that have already been submitted. We found before the Ideas tab was created that people would sit on the sidelines and not respond at all, but if they saw a post, they were more likely to chime in and post something that would enhance the conversation.

It was also great to be able to push the audience to what tab we wanted them to be on. So during a live session we could start with a Poll that people could respond to as soon as they land on the page, then turn that off and it would go to the Q&A tab so the audience could type in a question. Then if we wanted to open up a chat we could start an “Idea” and it would push them to that tab, close it and back to the Q&A tab they go. If that is no longer the case, at least please create a “Chat” function within the new interface and make it so everyone can see responses without having to type in their own first.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @gripp 

thank you for sharing that with us. I will pass your feedback to our product team. 

I have another request on a current feature that I have not been able to find yet in the “new” Slido.

When an event is over and we have left over questions in the queue, I have been able to archive all (and I found where to do that in the new Slido) but before I hit the confirmation button to archive all it would ask if I wanted to label the questions first. I had created a label “Follow Up” so that these questions could easily be found in the excel export. Is it possible to bring that feature back again?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @gripp 

thank you for all the feedback. It has all been submitted to our team however I am not able to promise any updates at the moment. It is very valuable for us and I have submitted all of your insights one by one so our team is aware of these. 

Removing the ideas tab will be a reason for us to find other solution for our needs. 

We do a lot of online workshops and the Ideas function is a crucial part of our session with the ability to upvote/downvote and highlite responses during our discussions Is fundamental. The open text does not in any way support that use case and as mentioned by others it is not shown until you submit an answer. 

This retirement of ideas will probably lead to us finding another solution and not renew in 53 days. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @knytn 

Thank you for your honest feedback. Deprecating the Ideas feature was one of the many tough decisions our product teams made in order to best move forward with the improved interface.

With that said, I am absolutely relaying your feedback. And we still hope to introduce an even better alternative feature in the future.